- 1847 in the Vienna University Hospital, one of the best in the country, every 10th women dies after delivering a baby from child bed fever. Sometimes lethality reaches 30%!
- Dr. Ignaz Semmelweis identified missing hand hygiene of gynecologists and students as cause for this high infection rate. His publication is till now considered one of the most important ones in the entire medicine.
- He was ignored and mobbed into insanity by his colleagues, because of “betrayal of his own profession”.
- Physician Dr. Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis, (Hungarian: Semmelweis Ignác Fülöp; who was born on 1. July 1818 in “Ofen” – German name of the city of Buda, today Budapest. He died on 13. August 1865 in Viennna
- “Semmelweis-Reflex“ was created by Robert Anton Wilson and is named after Ignaz Semmelweis. It describes the phenomenon that innovation in science is often not followed by honors, but by punishment, because existing paradigms and behavioral patterns are questioned and attacked.
- Todays multi resistant bugs are much more dangerous enemies than child bed fever back at Semmeweis´ time.
- As a reference to Prof. Semmelweis we hold our CEE conference in Vienna and Budapest, alternatingly